The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Poem

Posted by J. On 12:52 AM
Before I return this book to the library (and then subsequently put it on my "to buy" list), I want to get down this poem that the main character, Lennie, writes about the loss of her sister:
From "The Sky is Everywhere book trailer,"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q687NX-0kE
     Grief is a house
     where the chairs
     have forgotten how to hold us
     the mirrors how to reflect us
     the walls how to contain us
     Grief is a house that disappears
     each time someone knocks at the door
     or rings the bell
     a house that blows into the air
     at the slightest gust
     that buries itself deep in the ground
     while everyone is sleeping                                                                                      
     Grief is a house where no one can protect you
     where the younger sister
     will grow older than the older one
     where the doors
     no longer let you in
     or out (73)

The poetry throughout The Sky is Everywhere is a good example of why I loved this book. It made me think of Freak Magnet by Andrew Auseon, which I read recently as well. Both books had the characters' dealing with tremendous difficulties and experiencing new love. Also, in both books. the female protagonist wrote poetry. The poems and plot in The Sky is Everywhere connected with me in a way that was authentic, whereas the poems and plot in Freak Magnet left me indifferent. I understand the characters are dealing with different issues and perhaps Auseon meant for Gloria's writing to be typical cringeworthy adolescent emo poetry, but it made me want to skip passages of the book. It took away from the characters' real struggles, because I didn't see Gloria as a girl who would write such terrible poetry.

Not a very coherent or thorough critique, but this poem from Nelson's book reminded me of a time when I felt so bogged down by loss. It brought me back to that time, reminded me how far I've come, and also captured what can never change. There is always grief.

2 Responses to 'The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Poem'

  1. Anonymous said...
    https://jareads.blogspot.com/2011/01/sky-is-everywhere-by-jandy-nelson-poem.html?showComment=1296664705338#c6782001498773070807'> February 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM

    I loved this book sooooo much. It was perfect. I checked it out from the library and I'm already itching to buy a copy so I can read it again. Did you see the new paperback cover? So gorgeous. It says "One boy makes her remember. One makes her forget." Makes me sigh just thinking about it. I agree with you about the poetry too. The stuff in Freak Magnet wasn't bad (though I liked the book), but it didn't move me in the same way that The Sky Is Everywhere did.

     

  2. J. said...
    https://jareads.blogspot.com/2011/01/sky-is-everywhere-by-jandy-nelson-poem.html?showComment=1297350183929#c2565653870841626436'> February 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM

    Ooh, no I hadn't seen the paperback yet! I like it, even though the hardcover version was so representative of the book to me. Yes, it was one of those books I used up all 5 of my renews on because I wanted to keep rereading passages (and not just the romantic ones!). It is on my to-buy list.

     

Post a Comment

Categories:

Followers